Discussion -- perhaps a trollette -- re: upgrades !

Hi;

Is there no way around having to restart after some upgrade downloads
like a new kernel or the recent gfs upgrades?

I have no solutions to offer other than some amateur passing thoughts.
Nor do I find restarting a particularly onerous burden in Fedora.

However, by way of comparison, I dual boot into WindowsXP about once
every two weeks.  I swear, honest to God, I spend about 45 minutes
getting all the automatic M$ updates plus the latest anti-virus updates
before I can begin to do something.  The normal M$ process of
upgrading/updating usually requires 1-4 restarts.  It is all very
annoying.

Even though I don't have to worry about such things anymore, I am sure
employers who use Windows must be tearing their hair out watching each
employee sitting around for 45 minutes while their machines are updated.

So, what does this have to do with Fedora and Linux in general.

It would probably be a great bonus if Linux could figure out a way to
upgrade without the annoying and obvious routine of having to reboot.
Rebooting reminds users too much of M$ type of annoyances.

I would like to describe the kind of thing I have in mind, but in no way
am I putting the following idea forward as a solution.  It is for
explanation purposes only.

Can upgrades that will interfere with the running kernel not be stored
in swap, for example, and then slowly replace each process that is not
running; that is, on hard disk or sleeping in memory until the upgrade
is completed?  If needed, perhaps a brief view of the start flash screen
and loading timer bar without an overt shutdown and restart?

What are the arguments against this kind of thing?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3