Re: auto-updates

Paul W. Frields wrote:

A note on the supposedly useless interface -- my question is, why do
people care so much about a progress bar anyway?  When I get an update
alert, I right-click, tell the system to install updates, and go about
my work.  I don't care what the download speed is, since there are
usually things I care about more like the activity I'm busy with
already.  When the updates are done, if it's important I'll get a
notifier about restarting my session or the system.

I just installed Fedora 11 and there are 400 updates available. I use a dial-up connection in a part of town where I get an average of 2.9 kilobytes per second (bad phone lines). So when something is downloading that generally puts a halt on using the internet connection until the download is finished. I like to know what is being downloaded so that I can prioritize the downloads and know how long the internet connection will be tied up. For me feedback and control of the process is a good thing.

Somewhere I read that 60% of the internet connections in the USA are considered broadband connections. That means that 40% of us are still walking down the information super highway.