Re: auto-updates

On 09-08-08 02:55:51, s wrote:
> I just installed Fedora 11 and there are 400 updates available. I use
> a dial-up connection in a part of town where I get an average of 2.9
> kilobytes per second (bad phone lines).  So when something is
> downloading that generally puts a halt on using the internet
> connection until the download is finished. I like to know what is
> being downloaded so that I can prioritize the downloads and know
> how long the internet connection will be tied up. For me feedback and
> control of the process is a good thing.

If you just want to keep using the connection while a download is
taking place, you might benefit from traffic shaping, and possibly from
the Wonder Shaper (Google for it).

yum-presto is also good, but it only reduced the initial update from my
own F9 to F11 uprade by about 1/3.  It only looks for one level of
delta-RPM, so after there have been multiple updates there isn't a
delta path.

Yum from the command line gives good feedback on what and how much, and
reasonable feedback on how long.  (I don't use Packagekit's applet, so
I don't know about it.)