Re: auto-updates

On 08/04/2009 11:36 AM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 11:30 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
I just installed Fedora 11 on my new pc.  Shortly
thereafter I was presented with a pop-up box that
said 28 security updates were available.  I (foolishly
as it turned out) clicked the update button.  My
internet connection is a modem and the machine
has been downloading for about 20 hours now.
Clicking on the little updater icon in the Gnome
panel does not offer any information or control.

So... how do I find out:
* What it is downloading?
* What is the total size of the downloads?
* How much is done, how much remains?
* How to pause it so I can get my email?
* How do I turn off auto-updates permanently?
   (In System->Prefs->Software Updates I had set
   "Check for updates" and "Check for major updates"
   to "Never" but it still seems to be checking.

Not sure what all the answers to those questions are, but if you install
yum-presto, it should cut down the size of the updates by quite a bit.

Thanks for that info, I had not known about yum-presto before.
I'll give it a try.

I take the lack of responses to my questions about the
software updater as being "no".  Am I the only one bothered
by this Microsoftification (no status info, no control,
no documentation, you users just sit back, be happy, and
we will manage your machine for you)?  I came to Linux to
get away from that kind of stuff.

Anyway, I eventually figured out that System -> Preferences
-> Startup Applications is the place to turn it (and some
other unneeded pseudo-services) off.