Re: auto-updates

2009/8/7 Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx>:
> Me too. I just wish I could turn off packagekit before I ever login
> so it doesn't lock up the update process as soon as I do the first login before
> I can disable it :-).

There are many ways to disable it if you wish.

> Or even wait for the interface to be remotely sensible at all :-).

I don't know why you put the ":-)" after the insult, it's still an insult.

> Several of us complained about the unitless progress bars in the
> very first version, but as far as I know you still can't tell if
> it is downloading a 1 meg package over the world's slowest
> connection or downloading a 1000 meg package at a good clip -
> the progress bars would look exactly the same in either case.

I'm sorry, I must have missed your post on the mailing list with patches.

> Having installed and updated on lots of different linux distros
> for testing software at work, the debian/ubuntu synaptic GUI
> is as close to perfect as any I have seen, and the suse yast2
> GUI was about the most annoying until packagekit came along
> and it takes the prize for being annoying. It is almost like
> they carefully researched how all other GUI software update
> tools worked and made sure they left out everything that could
> be considered remotely useful from all previous designs :-).

No.

They (the ones who did the actual work) wrote a framework of software,
catering for the needs of these people
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html -- Then busy developers
wrote code for free (often in the evenings after work or at weekends),
and designed GUIs. I don't think anyone is under the delusion that the
applications or stack is perfect right now.

You (the one complaining) use the software for free, and get to file
bugs (which we try to fix) for free. You also get to complain on
public mailing lists without worrying about the consequences of doing
so. You get the latest versions, or testing versions, all for free.

I get to read your emails, and wonder why the hell I'm sitting here
trying to make a difference.

Richard