Re: Interrpreting modifier codes in /etc/inputrc ??

William Case wrote:
Thanks Rick;

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 14:46 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
William Case wrote:
On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 15:29 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
William Case wrote:

Mikkel, I would prefer to be lazy too. However, Control+right-arrow
simply produces ";5C" at the cursor on my command line and Control
+left-arrow prints ";5D".
Mikkel is correct. CTRL-left-arrow generates <ESC>[1;5C (<ESC> meaning "escape" or the "\e" from the previous posts), CTRL-right-arrow produces <ESC>[1;5D.

Yes that is what the keys are supposed to be designated as, but
CTRL-right-arrow and CTRL-left-arrow. should produce movement one word
at a time -- not just print out the code at the cursor location.

If you're curios, run "showkey -a" from a command prompt
and press those sequences:

[root@prophead ~]# showkey -a

Thanks for introducing me to the showkey command.

Useful utility, that. :-)

As to bash just displaying the ";5C" or whatever, you have to have data
on the command line for it to the sequences to operate on.  If you're
just at a prompt and you hit one of those sequences, there's nothing to
act on and you'll probably rewarded with a beep and a display of the
remainder of the key sequence.

I did have data in the command line when I tried CTRL-right-arrow and
CTRL-left-arrow.

Since I had used a command from 'history', I tried your suggestion to
see if a new command/sentence/data made any difference. It shouldn't
have.
Try putting "the quick brown fox" after a command prompt, then use CTRL-left-arrow and watch the cursor move back by words.

I did not get movement.  I only got the same ";5C" and ";5D" code
printed to stdout no matter where the cursor was placed in "the quick
brown fox". The printed code appears exactly where the cursor is placed
at the time of invoking CTRL-right-arrow or CTRL-left-arrow.

Hmmm.  Works a treat here on F10 and F11 (x86_64), but I've not mucked
with my inputrc files:

[root@prophead ~]# cat /etc/inputrc
# do not bell on tab-completion
#set bell-style none

set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

# Completed names which are symbolic links to
# directories have a slash appended.
set mark-symlinked-directories on

$if mode=emacs

# for linux console and RH/Debian xterm
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[5~": beginning-of-history
"\e[6~": end-of-history
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[2~": quoted-insert
"\e[5C": forward-word
"\e[5D": backward-word
"\e[1;5C": forward-word
"\e[1;5D": backward-word

# for rxvt
"\e[8~": end-of-line
"\eOc": forward-word
"\eOd": backward-word

# for non RH/Debian xterm, can't hurt for RH/DEbian xterm
"\eOH": beginning-of-line
"\eOF": end-of-line

# for freebsd console
"\e[H": beginning-of-line
"\e[F": end-of-line
$endif

"CTRL-backspace" does NOT delete words to the left (just characters like
a normal backspace does, which makes sense since the backspace key is
just a CTRL-H), but "ALT-backspace" does delete words to the left.

"CTRL-delete" and "ALT-delete" don't do any deletes, they echo the
characters after the "<ESC>[" stuff as you see, but the default inputrc
doesn't have any mappings for those keys:

	CTRL-delete = ^[[3;5~ ("^[" = "\e" escape)
	ALT-delete  = ^[[3;3~

You should also note that applications may install their own mappings
(hence the "ALT-F" bringing down the file menu, etc.), so even setting
inputrc may not give you the results you want, depending on the app
you're running.