Re: Interrpreting modifier codes in /etc/inputrc ??

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:13:14 -0400
William Case wrote:

> Is there a tutorial or manual that explains or shows what those modifer
> codes mean.  That is, I know "\e" must mean ESC key but what does the
> various other codes (e.g. "[1~") mean -- for sure.

I'm pretty sure it just means those characters literally. The various
vt100 and greater style terminal emulations most commonly used
in things like gnome-terminal and xterm all generate escape
sequence that look like that. The question then becomes finding out
which keys generate those escapes (but the odds are good it will
be the obvious ones like home and end, etc).