Re: security updates causing firefox trouble?

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:12:55 -0700
jackson byers <byersjab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [root@f10 ~]# yum info yum\*
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 8024.
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to
> exit... The other application is: PackageKit
>     Memory : 102 M RSS (122 MB VSZ)
>     Started: Wed Aug  5 13:19:19 2009 - 22:18:17 ago
>     State  : Sleeping, pid: 8024
>
> so, it is "Sleeping"
> Any way to wake it up?
> I had firefox off for 40min? no help, the process stayed
> in its   sleeping state.

Try invoking PackageKit manually by clicking on it.  It should find the
earlier version and ask what you want to do about it.  When it seems
appropriate, cancel out of the process to stop everything including the
earlier process.

You can run, as root,  fg %8024   That *might* wake it up.  If it doesn't,
the alternative is to try killing the process, first with signal 15,
kill -15 8024
then with signal 9 if that doesn't work.  I think you will need to
remove the lock manually if you kill the process, but I can't find
the location of the lock. This isn't the best way because the
process doesn't get to clean up after itself. And if it is
non-interruptable sleep it needs a wakeup call even to be aware of the
kill.  Using top or htop makes it easier to kill the process.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about this than me will give a
better answer.