Re: FC11 Sound gets disabled automatically after 10 to 15 min.

On Thursday 06 August 2009 12:51:11 Jatin K wrote:
> On 08/06/2009 04:21 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 August 2009 11:05:00 Jatin K wrote:
> >> Dear all
> >>
> >> I'm facing a stranger problem of sound in fedora 11 , when I play music
> >> player or see on-line video after 10 to 15 min. sound goes away .. no
> >> sound any more , and then I needed to restart the system ... now again
> >> it works for 10 to 15 min. the same problem occurs again.
> >>

> >> what could be the problem ?? please help me to resolve this issue
> >
> > Jatin, to help you a lot more information will be needed.  First, is your
> > desktop KDE or Gnome?
> >
> > What applications did you use?
> >
> > Did you re-start the system just to re-start sound, or was there some
> > other problem?
> >
> > Have you looked at any configuration options?
> >
> > With this information someone who uses a similar setup may be able to
> > advise you.
> >
> > Anne
>
> ThnX  for you reply  Mr. Wilson
>
> answer of your Qs are as under
>
> I'm Using *Gnome Version: 2.26.3
>
> *I'm using  Rythembox to play music files like ogg and mp3,  for DVD/VCD
> I'm using VLC or Movie player. some time I used to play online video
> through firefox .
>
> Ya I restart the system just to re-start the sound .....  ( other
> application works fine )
>
> No I've looked at any configuration ... as I dont know how to resolve
> this proble and what is to be configured
>
> details for sound system hardware ....... ( the result of  command
> *lspci | grep Multimedia* )
>
> *00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
> *
We need help from a Gnome use - I use KDE.  If I comment on how I'd handle it
in KDE, someone else will tell you the equivalent in Gnome.

The first thing is that you have an Intel ICH4 sound controller - and that's
not good.  I have an Intel ICH6 sound controller, which has similar problems.
There are work-arounds, though, that should give reasonable results.

KDE has SystemSettings > Multimedia as the place for checking and changing
settings.  Gome equivalent, please, someone?

You should see a list of the sound interfaces on your card and be able to
alter the order.  The idea is that PulseAudio will be used if it can work with
your card and the task in hand.  If it can't it drops back to the next on the
list.  And so on, until it finds one that does work.

My recommendation is that you drop any ICH4 entry to the bottom of the list.
Since I did that with my ICH6 ones I've had no problems.

If you can get that far, let us know whether there still is a problem.

One other thing - it's worth trying to change the sound backend.  On this
laptop I did find that rhythmbox worked with the xine backend, but it's worth
trying both that and the xine backend.  Again, I can't tell you where the
setting is.  I'm sure someone will.

Anne