Re: Are you being heard?

On Thursday 06 August 2009 02:45:41 dexter wrote:
> 2009/8/6 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Wednesday 05 August 2009 19:33:45 Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> The idea is that you can submit your ideas, features requests.
> >
> > There are only two things I miss in KDE4 that I can think of. Those two
> > are the "system-monitor activity" plasmoids for the hard disk and for
> > swap usage. By "activity" I mean the plasmoids that draw a graph of the
> > amount of current activity, like it is done for "CPU settings" and
> > "Network settings" system- monitor plasmoids.
> >
> > There is one system-monitor plasmoid for the hard disk, but it displays
> > hard disk usage (ie. how full it is), not current activity. For swap I
> > failed to find anything similar.
> >
> > Absence of these two plasmoids is the only reason why I still keep
> > gkrellm on the desktop. :-(
>
> ditch gkrellm  : -) have you played with ksysguard?

Yes, ksysguard is great, I use it often, but it has two major flaws:

(1) it isn't a plasmoid, and
(2) it doesn't show any network or hard disk activity.

(or I am blind to configure it...)

The point here is that I have cpu and network activities displayed as
plasmoids on the desktop, and also the "show plasma dashboard" widget in the
panel. So whenever I overload my system beyond responsiveness, I simply click
that widget, and all graphs pop up to show me where is the bottleneck. In the
old days I had a konsole running top and iotop all the time, but the problem
with both the konsole and ksysguard is that once the system loses
responsiveness, it takes ages to get any of those windows back into focus.
OTOH, the dashboard seems to be cached in memory all the time, and it usually
always works.

That's my usecase at least, so I would really like to have all the sensors
displayed in ksysguard (also with a process table!) as plasmoids on the
desktop.

Best, :-)
Marko