Re: Methods of setting Disk Partitions.

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> Is there a better way to setup the disk partitioning?
> Usually, I've let the installation just create the partitions, and it has created
> the small boot partition and then the LVM with the rest of the space. With
> smaller disk this is OK, but with large disks the LVM partition is huge, so
> doing image backups takes like 1 hour 30 minutes for a 250GB disk. I've
> tried to adjust the size, but the best method I've come up with so far is this.
>
> Just installed a new X64 system with a 500GB disk, and ended up during the
> install switching to screen 2, and using fdisk to create a 200MB /dev/sda1
> and 40GB /dev/sda2 and then created a FAT32 partition /dev/sda3 with the
> rest of the space. Then wrote the setup to disk. Then used fdisk to delete the
> first two partitions. Then continued with the install, and told it to use free
> space, and it installed just using space at the beginning. After finishing, I was
> able to reformat the /dev/sda3 to ext4 as a test.
>
> This way I can quickly do an image of the boot and the LVM parition to be
> able to restore the machine if needed.
>
> Thanks.

During install, you can do custom partitioning. You may want to
create more then one volume group, depending on how you plan on
using the drive. Or you can skip the creating of volume groups, and
just use disk partitions. But if I remember correctly, you are
limited to 16 partitions with the current drivers.

If you have already installed, and want to change sizes, I would
boot off a live CD and use Logical Volume Management from the System
--> Administration menu to change things.

Mikkel