Re: low-level formatter for linux

Markus Kesaromous wrote:

> Why I need to do low level formatting?
> Disk monitor is reporting 93 uncorrectable sector errors.

Time to download the manufacturer's diagnostic disk, or the Ultiate
Boot CD ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) and run their tests on
the drive. As other have stated, you can not run a low level format
on modern drives. The test program will usually produce an error
code you can use to get an RMA for the drive if it is under warranty.

While not completely true, it requires plugging into the diagnostic
connector on the drive, and sending the correct commands. Not
something even most advanced user are normally equipped to do.

Mikkel