Re: Automatically grant user permission to use USB scanner in F11 x86_64

stan wrote:
> I managed to get a usb scanner working for root, but I don't want to
> always have to go into /dev/bus/usb/002/ and change the permissions so a
> regular user can use it.  Is there an elegant way to allow a regular
> user to run xsane for a USB scanner?   That works even when it is not
> present at boot but is hot plugged later?
>
> I didn't find anything in a web search, though there were hints that
> this could be done through udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d somehow.
> There doesn't appear to be a scanner group or a usb group to add my user
> to, and I think that creating an fstab entry with user permissions like
> cd and dvd for usb is obsolete.
>
> So, what is the solution?

There used to be a rule set for scaners in /etc/udev/rules.d that
created a scanner symlink, and set permissions. But can't seem to
find it any more. This makes me suspect that HAL or ConsoleKit has
taken over. It is possible that your scanner is not being recognized
by the software... If so, this would be a good time to file a bug
report so they can add it to the list.

In the mean time, you can write a udev rule to set permissions on
the device. Does "ls /dev/scanner*" show a symlink for the scanner?

Mikkel