Re: Problem: CUPS re-writing printers.conf

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:

I am trying to print the CUPS Print Test Page from my laptop
on a printer attached to another machine on my home LAN.
But whenever I do this CUPS adds the line
"AuthInfoRequired username,password" to /etc/cups/printers.conf
on my laptop.
The result is that the job is rejected;

I've never done this, so I'm just throwing out ideas for you to consider. You
are connecting to alfred in order to print.  If you set up printers in
samba you have to set whether the driver is going to be local or remote -
how do you do that in the cups setup?

Thanks again for your response.

When setting up the printer on the laptop,
I say that it is a network printer, choose http as the protocol,
and give the URI of the printer, in this case
	http://192.168.2.1:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5L .

(The printer is never found by clicking on Network Find Printer.)

The other thing that comes to mind is that because it is attached to
alfred,
you definitely have to authenticate there.  You'd need either matching
username and password or user-mapping, I would have thought.

There is no suggestion that one has to setup anything,
and I don't see where one could set username/password
in any of the CUPS files.

Hope it starts off some useful train o thought.

Yes, thanks.
I'll try setting up some form of authentication,
or else try turning it off.
But when I googled for the error message,
none of those who encountered the problem
seemed to have found any simple solution.

I may be coming in late on this but my laptop configuration specifies

ipp://192.168.2.2:631/printers/psc-2400-series

192.168.2.2 is configured to host this USB printer locally and it's "URL" is

hp:/usb/psc_2400_series?serial=MY39FD200F8H

Perhaps you can try using the printer protocol (ipp) instead of http ?