Re: Problem: CUPS re-writing printers.conf

On Saturday 01 August 2009 17:19:32 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> I am trying to print the CUPS Print Test Page from my laptop
> >> on a printer attached to another machine on my home LAN.
> >> But whenever I do this CUPS adds the line
> >> "AuthInfoRequired username,password" to /etc/cups/printers.conf
> >> on my laptop.
> >> The result is that the job is rejected;
> >> I read in /var/log/cups/error_log on the laptop:
> >> --------------------------------
> >> D [01/Aug/2009:03:11:08 +0100] [Job 24] Set job-printer-state-message to
> >> "Print file was not accepted (The printer or class is not shared!)!",
> >
> > Isn't this the reason?  Is the printer marked as shared on the remote
> > computer?
>
> It is.
> Here is the printers.conf from the remote machine:
> --------------------------------------
> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4rc1
> # Written by cupsd on 2009-08-01 02:56
> <Printer HP_LaserJet_5L>
> Info HP LaserJet 5L
> Location In study, attached to alfred
> MakeModel HP LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)
> DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
> State Idle
> StateTime 1249090007
> Type 8400900
> Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
> Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
> Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
> Filter application/vnd.apple-pdf 25 foomatic-rip
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
> </Printer>
> --------------------------------------
> And here is printers.conf for the laptop:
> --------------------------------------
> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4rc1
> # Written by cupsd on 2009-08-01 14:34
> <Printer HP_LaserJet_5L>
> AuthInfoRequired username,password
> Info Laserjet 5L
> Location In study, attached to alfred
> MakeModel HP LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)
> DeviceURI http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5L
> State Idle
> StateTime 1249133646
> Type 8400900
> Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
> Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
> Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
> Filter application/vnd.apple-pdf 25 foomatic-rip
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
> </Printer>
> --------------------------------------
> I cannot get rid of the AuthInfoRequired line;
> if I delete it, it just re-appears.

> [...]

I've never done this, so I'm just throwing out ideas for you to consider.  You
are connecting to alfred in order to print.  If you set up printers in samba
you have to set whether the driver is going to be local or remote - how do you
do that in the cups setup?

The other thing that comes to mind is that because it is attached to alfred,
you definitely have to authenticate there.  You'd need either matching
username and password or user-mapping, I would have thought.

Hope it starts off some useful train o thought.

Anne