Re: Problem: CUPS re-writing printers.conf

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> I am trying to print the CUPS Print Test Page from my laptop
>> on a printer attached to another machine on my home LAN.
>> But whenever I do this CUPS adds the line
>> "AuthInfoRequired username,password" to /etc/cups/printers.conf
>> on my laptop.
>> The result is that the job is rejected;
>> I read in /var/log/cups/error_log on the laptop:
>> --------------------------------
>> D [01/Aug/2009:03:11:08 +0100] [Job 24] Set job-printer-state-message to
>> "Print file was not accepted (The printer or class is not shared!)!",
>
> Isn't this the reason?  Is the printer marked as shared on the remote
> computer?

It is.
Here is the printers.conf from the remote machine:
--------------------------------------
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4rc1
# Written by cupsd on 2009-08-01 02:56
<Printer HP_LaserJet_5L>
Info HP LaserJet 5L
Location In study, attached to alfred
MakeModel HP LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
State Idle
StateTime 1249090007
Type 8400900
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.apple-pdf 25 foomatic-rip
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
--------------------------------------
And here is printers.conf for the laptop:
--------------------------------------
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4rc1
# Written by cupsd on 2009-08-01 14:34
<Printer HP_LaserJet_5L>
AuthInfoRequired username,password
Info Laserjet 5L
Location In study, attached to alfred
MakeModel HP LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)
DeviceURI http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5L
State Idle
StateTime 1249133646
Type 8400900
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.apple-pdf 25 foomatic-rip
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
--------------------------------------
I cannot get rid of the AuthInfoRequired line;
if I delete it, it just re-appears.

Any enlightenment more than gratefully received.

I attach cupds.conf for two machines below.
They were created by CUPS web interface,
and seem perfectly standard to me.

I thought the problem might be due to using hp-setup,
but I have yum-removed this,
and also re-installed cups on both machines,
after deleting all cups files I could find.
But all this had no effect; the outcome is the same.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
MaxLogSize 0
LogLevel warn
SystemGroup sys root
# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
BrowseLocalProtocols
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Restrict access to the server...
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  # Restrict access to the admin pages...
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  # Restrict access to the configuration files...
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>
<Policy authenticated>
  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI>
  AuthType Default
  Order deny,allow
</Limit>
[...]

# Show troubleshooting information in error_log.
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup sys root
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  # Allow remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
[...]
  <Limit CUPS-Authenticate-Job>