Re: Missing smbmount

Markus Kesaromous wrote:

From: ragnarw@xxxxx
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:37:56 +0000
Subject: Missing smbmount

Hi there.
I'm running a Fedora 10 system with Samba 3.2.4-0.22.fc10 and I noticed that
smbmount, smbumount and smbmnt are missing. No man files either. Are there
new utilities or is this a fault in the installation packages?

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

The release versions of the kernel do not configure in smb, even though you could download the source kernel and configure smb FS, and then you would have  to install the smb package.

It's nice to be cutting edge, but Fedora has a habit of killing the old (working) way to do things. This is a case in point, the developers bright shiny machines may all use cifs instead of smb, but old servers seem not to.

So instead of smb, you have cifs which is what is commonly used now to mount directories that are shared by windows or other samba servers.

mount -t cifs //ipaddress/shareName /mountPoint

It will prompt you for a password. If your windows server is indeed expecting a password, you will need to supply it. On my winXP Pro machines,
there is no per user authentication required (yeah... very secure!!!), so
when I am prompter for a password, I just press return. The share is mounted read/write.

A check with tcpdump shows that smb and cifs aren't really the same thing, smbmount works with win98se, cifs gets a connection started and then the Windows machine declines to continue the conversation. If you find you can't seem to finish a connect for mount, your Windows may only speak smb.

People with a great deal of time will chase this and swear it works, people who want a solution will install old Linux on a small machine and setup an NFS re-export or something. Life is too short to deal with people who insist things are the same when sniffer says they're not.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>