Re: Vonage phone service on a network with Fedora...

On 07/31/2009 08:27 PM, Linus Ulrick wrote:
> Hello Everyone
> I have just (for now...) signed up for Vonage phone service.  My system as is
> was BEFORE I connected the Vonage V-Portal Phone Adapter was like this:
> Two Fedora Linux systems connected to a router that is connected to a cable
> modem that is connected to the Comcast cable that comes out of my wall.  We do
> NOT have any other services from Comcast other than cable internet.  No TV, No
> Phone, just Internet.  I have a dynamic IP address.  But, like with many of us,
> it almost never changes.
>
> THEN I connected the Vonage V-Portal Phone Adapter like the instructions
> specify.  In short, the adapter goes between the modem and the router.  Which I
> am reasonably sure is the cause of my problems.

   Been using vonage for a long time - do NOT put the vonage adaptor
outside your router ... put it inside yoru router - it works fine.

   It wants to do packet shaping and own your bandwidth - with cable
this is toally unneeded - probably uneeded even with DSL these days - it
has nothing to do with opening ports - it tunnels out and maintains a
tunnel for itself to the vonage server.

  Good luck.