RE: Fedora 11 very very slow on Athlon DAM 1500+, 1.3 GHz Machine

From: jwalant.soneji@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 07:11:38 +0530
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fedora 11 very very slow on Athlon DAM 1500+, 1.3 GHz Machine

Hi,
I tried running Fedora 11, with it being only operating system installed, and it was too slow for everything.
The message boxes, applications, games, etc... everything.. took a great time to load.

It was installed on Ext4 file system. Is my computer not capable of handling that?

Right now, I run Fedora 10 and there is not any slow down issue.
Please suggest.

Thanks,Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji, BE IT, India

I have heard others say similar things about every new fedora release. Some have even suggested that Linux is fast becoming a windows-like os as far as responsiveness is concerned.

What I did for my poor old AMD laptop is I reconfigured  the kernel to
1. disable all SMP options.
2. chose "performance" in cpu frequency governor option.
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
3. made sure that my cpu type was checked instead of some pentium cpu.
4. made sure that I selected premptible kernel option which improves interactive process responsiveness. CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

The result was a very noticeable improvement in interactive response.

Good luck.

MK