Re: Vonage phone service on a network with Fedora...

On 07/31/2009 08:27 PM, Linus Ulrick wrote:
> Hello Everyone
> I have just (for now...) signed up for Vonage phone service.  My system as is
> was BEFORE I connected the Vonage V-Portal Phone Adapter was like this:
> Two Fedora Linux systems connected to a router that is connected to a cable
> modem that is connected to the Comcast cable that comes out of my wall.  We do
> NOT have any other services from Comcast other than cable internet.  No TV, No
> Phone, just Internet.  I have a dynamic IP address.  But, like with many of us,
> it almost never changes.
>
> THEN I connected the Vonage V-Portal Phone Adapter like the instructions
> specify.  In short, the adapter goes between the modem and the router.  Which I
> am reasonably sure is the cause of my problems.
>
> I discovered after I connected the Vonage device that the IP address
> that I have
> had with Comcast had changed for the first time in a REAL long time.  So, in an
> attempt to fix my ability to access the mail server on my Fedora 8
> system from my
> new system (Fedora 11) I changed the IP address on dnsexit.com to match the new
> one.  This did not in any way change my situation...  So I had an idea: I
> disconnected the Vonage device, probably did a modem/router power cycle and
> rebooted my PC's.  Guess What?  My IP address changed AGAIN!  Any guesses on
> what it changed to?  The exact same IP address that I had before I
> connected the
> Vonage adapter...  I wasn't exactly too suprised when my email setup started to
> work perfectly again.

Looks like Comcast is reacting to the MAC address of the device
connected to it when its DHCP server determines the IP address for you.
SO, I am not surprised that when you removed the VONAGE adapter, it saw
the MAC address of your router, and its lease hasn't expired yet, so it
re-assigned it to you.

> So, my question is, has anyone with two or more Fedora/Linux systems on a local
> network that is also running a mail server on one of the systems been able to
> successfully connect the Vonage V-Portal Phone Adapter to their network and
> still have their network function exactly as it did before the adapter was
> installed?

Just a guess here, but your VONAGE adapter wants to be outside of your
router so that it can grab the ports it needs to function and pass
everything else to your inside network.

3 possible solutions pop to my mind (though some with experience might
know better than me):

1)  If you can figure out the port(s) that VONAGE needs, put the VONAGE
adapter behind your router/firewall, and forward the necessary port(s)
to the VONAGE adapter inside your router/firewall.

2)  Figure out the MAC address of your router/firewall, and see if the
VONAGE adapter will spoof it fo you to your cable modem.  In that case,
your cable modem will think that your setup hasn't changed and issue you
the IP address you want.

3)  Look into dynamic IP services (like dyndns.org) and see if you can
use them to solve your problem.  I use them for my domains, and I run
scripts to keep them up-to-date, and if they ever change, I run them
upon my main server's reboot, so rebooting my main server updates them.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx