Re: [Totally OT] Fedora is over - Hannah-Montana-Linux Rules

2009/7/29 Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM, john wendel<jwendel10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Seriously (well not really),
>>
>> http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/27/hannah-montana-linux/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>
> I no longer underestimate what kids can learn these days. I see kids
> doing things
> with gadgets I never thought possible  :-)
> But Linux? that's got to be the Final Frontier...

Speaking as someone who has tried to teach modern kids some things I
learnt when I was their age, I'm still surprised at how they can fit
so much information into 160 characters, but can't master simple
mechanical operations. I think even when I was a teenager (little more
than a decade ago Gene!), life was stuffed with so much less
technology, that I had a lot more time for the simpler things in life.

I lived in the suburbs of a major city in the UK when I was a
teenager. By day I spent my time in the woods lighting fires and
making dens, by night I spent my time trading "warez" on IRC on a 28k
modem. Occasionally I went to school.

I've spoken to a lot of 14-18yr olds in the course of my volunteer
work and I'm still continually amazed about what has changed in the
average kid's life. Now they come home from school and spend their
time playing computer games and messaging their friends on Bebo,
MySpace and Facebook. There's no real understanding among the majority
of computer users of how it works, how you program it and how to fix
it any more - the fundamental way they are using computers is
completely different to how I was brought up. An operating system is
now a gateway to the services you use - as long as you can get the
same IM programs, p2p and websites that all your mates are using,
what's under the hood just isn't a factor any more.

--
Sam