Re: [Totally OT] Fedora is over - Hannah-Montana-Linux Rules

On Wednesday 29 July 2009, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
>2009/7/29 Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM, john wendel<jwendel10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Seriously (well not really),
>>>
>>> http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/27/hannah-montana-linux/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> I no longer underestimate what kids can learn these days. I see kids
>> doing things
>> with gadgets I never thought possible  :-)
>> But Linux? that's got to be the Final Frontier...
>
>Speaking as someone who has tried to teach modern kids some things I
>learnt when I was their age, I'm still surprised at how they can fit
>so much information into 160 characters, but can't master simple
>mechanical operations. I think even when I was a teenager (little more
>than a decade ago Gene!), life was stuffed with so much less
>technology, that I had a lot more time for the simpler things in life.
>
>I lived in the suburbs of a major city in the UK when I was a
>teenager. By day I spent my time in the woods lighting fires and
>making dens, by night I spent my time trading "warez" on IRC on a 28k
>modem. Occasionally I went to school.
>
>I've spoken to a lot of 14-18yr olds in the course of my volunteer
>work and I'm still continually amazed about what has changed in the
>average kid's life. Now they come home from school and spend their
>time playing computer games and messaging their friends on Bebo,
>MySpace and Facebook. There's no real understanding among the majority
>of computer users of how it works, how you program it and how to fix
>it any more - the fundamental way they are using computers is
>completely different to how I was brought up. An operating system is
>now a gateway to the services you use - as long as you can get the
>same IM programs, p2p and websites that all your mates are using,
>what's under the hood just isn't a factor any more.
>
>--
>Sam

Which M$ knows full well is the wedge that will let linux in, and they will go
to any lengths to prevent that from happening.  Any lengths, legal or
otherwise...

I know exactly how you feel, I was building & programming computers to do jobs
better than we humans could as far back as the later '70's.  Memory was very
expensive in those days, and I made a program to control a vcr and lay a new
academy leader on a commercial, self modifying RCA 1802 code, and the whole
thing fit into about 1175 bytes of a 4k static ram board we paid $418 for.
This even included the character generator data to drive a character generator
I built into it. Battery backup, an old off speed BC cart recorder for
reloading in case the power failure was many hours.  In several times a day
use at KRCR for a decade or more after I left.  I still have a paper copy of
that program in a poly bag I can see from here.

If I was forced to use winderz, I'd probably burn the machine.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The most important early product on the way to developing a good product
is an imperfect version.