Re: Samsung Laser printers and F10/11?

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> I thought I would report my first tests on using the Samsung scx-4500W
> under F10.
>
> I did a fair bit of reading before deciding what to try and in the end did
> the following:
>
> I downloaded the driver set and untarred them. The drivers are available
> from
> http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/download/supportDown.do?group=printsolutions&type=printsolutions&subtype=monomultifunctionproducts&model_nm=SCX-4500W&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=DR&vType=&prd_ia_cd=06010300&disp_nm=SCX-4500W&model_cd=&menu=download
>
> However I did not install their script(s).
> Instead I pulled the following two files out of their Unified Driver file:
> I added the file
> rastertosamsungspl (from
> cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl) to
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/
>
> and scx4500q.ppd (from cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/) to
> /usr/share/cups/model/samsung/
> Note the permissions are 644
>
> Also did cd to /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds and made directory
> samsung, then
> gzip -c
> /home/mike/Documents/printer-info/4500w-drivers/cups-f10/scx4500w.ppd >
> samsung/scx4500w.ppd.gz
>
> That was all that seemed to be needed. Anyway I plugged in the usb line to
> the main machine here running F10, and turned on the printer whilst
> tailing the messages file.
>
> On startup it immediately recognised the printer and the messages file
> showed that the device had been found correctly and culminated in:
> Jul 20 20:37:32 home1 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver
> usblp
> Jul 20 20:38:00 home1 hal_lpadmin: Added printer SCX-4500W-Series
>
> A window popped up saying the printer had been added and offered me to
> check the settings - all that I changed was the paper size from the US
> Letter to our A4 size and then I ran a test page - which looked perfect.
>
> Then I printed a system status page from the printer itself which was
> fine, and then did a test print from the main machine - all seems well.
>
> cups started eating lots of cpu so I restarted it and it settled down
> nicely. I then checked that the printer was visible to other machines on
> the LAN and it worked nicely.
>
> I have not used the ethernet cable yet, nor changed the wireless settings.
> I'll have to put it on the local network and give it a sensible ip address
> rather than the default 192. address that it comes with.
>
> I have also been preparing the setup to allow scanning but not had a
> chance to test that yet.
>
> Anyway it is very pleasing that the printer is working, despite being an
> unsupported printer - and only using the two files pulled from the other
> Samsung linux application allowed the printer to work nicely.

I have also now tested scanning on the scx-4500w now.

I installed sane-backends from updates-testing to give
sane-backends-1.0.20-4.fc10.i386

Then edited /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf to add two extra lines, according to
advice from other postings on the net since the Samsung printer was
suggested to work with the xerox_mfp backend setup:

# Samsung SCX-4500W
 usb 0x04e8 0x342b

Then made a new file /etc/hal/fdi/information/19-libsane-scx4500w.fdi with
the following content:

 <?xml version="1.0"
 encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <deviceinfo version="0.2">
   <device>
     <!-- USB-SUBSYSTEM -->
     <match key="info.subsystem" string="usb">
       <match key="usb.vendor_id" int="0x04e8">
         <!-- Samsung SCX-4500W -->
         <match key="usb.product_id" int="0x342b">
           <append key="info.capabilities"
 type="strlist">scanner</append>
         </match>
       </match>
     </match>
   </device>
 </deviceinfo>

Then I simply fired up the GIMP and asked it to scan - it found the scanner,
and it worked without any further setup.

So although I have only tested the printing and scanning capability on F10
via the usb port it does work very nicely.

Yet to test:
1) printer access via ethernet
2) printer access via wireless
3) scanner access via ether/wifi

If anyone has done any other tests on this Samsung SCX-4500W and has
step-by-step setup details I would be interested to hear the information.
Either way this is a nice printer, and very quiet in operation, and does
look pretty cool too!