Re: Fedora 11: Switching to single user mode (runlevel 1) -- Hey g.

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 12:48 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> The only person that I can seeing being rude is G.

That's not my recollection.

> He was asked to either publish his public key, or stop signing his
> messages to the list. A reasonable request if he wants to be part of
> the com unity.

I'd have used words a bit stronger than /just/ being asked.  Giving an
ultimatum isn't being very polite.

> He could even have posted an ASCII armored copy of his public key to
> the list.

I don't recall seeing anyone asking him to do that, nor him refusing to
do that.  Perhaps you might ask him, and *then* see what happens.

I've seen demands to upload a key to a keyserver, and I fully understand
anybody's objection to doing that.  Posting a key in here wouldn't
subject that person to the spam problems that some keyservers create.
Though, it still wouldn't be a very trustworthy public key to add to
your keyring.

> But he demanded that we send him an email asking for his
> key. This is being polite? Get real...

You do realise that (a) asking someone to send you their PGP key if you
want it is a very old and quite standard, way to get their key.  You're
being a bit uppity at not liking that option.  And, (b), it's up to the
person to decide whether they want to give their PGP key out to someone
else.

> But I guess asking anyone to be a good list member is not acceptable
> on this list any more. If you point out the list guidelines and ask
> that people follow them, you are labeled a NET NAZI.

That all rather depends on how the asking, and pointing out, takes
place.

> Politeness is sadly lacking from some members.

Yes.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686