Re: Fedora 11: Switching to single user mode (runlevel 1) -- Hey g.

David:
>> Hey g. Would you, could you, do me, and others, a favor? Please?
>>
>> Either do as you are supposed to do when using GnuPG to sign your emails

g:
> there are no hard set 'rules' stating that one *has* to *publish* their
> *public keys*.

Agreed, there is no "supposed to do."

I find it irritating that mail clients will automatically try to fetch
keys when reading signed mail.  It bogs things down, even on broadband.
Much better would be if it didn't bother to do that unless you clicked
on a "check unknown key" button.  Even checking known keys, ones that it
already has, slows down mail reading.

These days, I've set gpg not to auto-fetch keys, seeing as Evolution is
lacking in useful configuration options about this.

And, as you said, the other poster could have asked to be sent the key,
instead of going off the deep end.

> publishing public keys on a key server only gives spammers an assurance
> that any email addresses they find on a key server are real.
>
> years back when i started using pgp sigs, i did publish my key and shortly
> after my spam level almost tripled. therefore, i do not do so now.

Same here.  There are spammers which just leech new addresses off PGP
servers as they arrive, and immediately spam you.  And if you had more
than one address on the key, they spam each of them.

I removed some addresses from a key, and the next set of spam only
spammed the current set of addresses on the key.  That doubly proved the
point that some spammers regularly harvest the key servers.

And since many different key servers talk to each other, it doesn't help
you by deliberately choosing to only upload your key to a particular
server.

> one of reasons that i use a pgp sig is that it maintains my idenity and
> prevents someone from trying to send an email as me, which has happened
> on this very list.

A fair enough point.  It's a common enough problem.  I've seen many
people state that exact same reason over the last several years.

I'd just love to learn how to use a chainsaw, using a spammer's computer
system for practice.  And I'm sure there'd be a long line of people
waiting to have their turn, too.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686