Re: any known working USB/serial converters?

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 07 July 2009, Steve Underwood wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 07 July 2009, Steve Underwood wrote:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  a while back, i was whining about the lack of functionality of a
particular USB/serial converter:

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-test-list/2009-05/msg00398.html

  does anyone have such a converter that just plain works out of the
box?  i'm more than happy to buy and try another brand if it's the
prolific product that's causing the trouble.
The log shown there lists a Prolific pl2303 USB serial converter chip.
I've been using various converters based on those with Linux for several
years, and never had a problem. I use them at speeds up to 460800bps.

Steve
yes, and in a low traffic situation, they will throw away the first byte
of a packet about 10% of the time.  That is enough to make them  worthless
for most apps.  Use FTDI stuff.
My experience is completely the opposite. I found the FTDI devices
useless. They keep hiccuping or locking up completely. I've used the
prolific devices in applications from intermittent bursts at 1200bps, to
endless streaming at 460800bps. I also use them in applications where
the adaptor is powering opto couplers, and the voltages end up way off.
I've never had problems.

Steve

We will agree to disagree then. I have never had an FTDI deice do anything but work with one singular exception, it was on the end of 2 usb extension cords, with the far end devices plugged into a separate circuit, and the hub did not survive a very close lightning hit, one of maybe .1 secs between the flash and the crack. pl2303's will not work to my ups, nor will they work for heyu about 25% of the time. FTDI's Just Work(TM) for both.
Oh wonderful. After years of perfectly good PL2303 performance, the very last kernel update for FC9 before it just went EOL has broken PL2303 support. I'm getting the occasional OOPS. :-(

Steve