Re: How do I switch mirror for rpmfusion?

Konstantin Svist wrote:

> gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Why isn't this the default?
>>

> Probably because it doesn't work too well.
> The way it works is by pinging the IPs of all mirrors to see which one
> has the smallest latency. In a perfect world, that would be the source
> you want to use, but in reality all it tells you is which mirror's
> firewall/etc. responds to ping fastest.
> What happens is the server is either lagging or becomes overloaded fast
> (possibly because many users are trying to update from it) so the speed
> goes down the drain.
> End result: I have 3mb download on my DSL line, but using the "fastest
> mirror" often gives me 50K (or even lower) download speed. Sometimes I
> end up editing the timedhosts.txt file and faking a long timeout value
> for the slow host.

I suppose pirut will use fastestmirror too if it is enabled? If so, it
would expalin my sloooow install of MPlayer. I'll see how things turn out.
I might have to edit the files. I often try to update when it's getting
really late here and the mirror I'm downloading from is in the wee small
hours.

I then get excellent speeds.

Thanks for sharing your experience!