Re: Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 20:00 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
I don't really know what was wrong with OSS to begin with.

Two different things trying to use the same sound card at the same time.
Only one could, and the other failing to manage it could jam the sound
card so that nothing else could use it until you rebooted.

Been there, done it, thoroughly glad to see the back of it.

The idea behind pulseaudio is a good idea, but the implementation of it
is rather bad, particularly how Fedora is using it (per user, rather
than a server per system), and the conglomeration of different volume
controls, where one's dependent on another one being set up, first.

That sounds just right. PA doesn't seem to do a thing for me when starting multiple VMs, the first one appears to grab sound and the rest get errors. And multiple users (or processes running as such) don't seem to work well, and as for line/mic input, I still run an FC6 machine for that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>