Re: Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Excalibur Xcalibur wrote:
Thanks for the response people. I thought you guys would say that and I was hoping that there would be a clean solution. There are too many customizations for me to perform a clean install at this point.. I think that I'll leave it as it is!

I have a similar upgrade coming someday, right now I have hardware supported only under old version with a vendor driver. Someday I will try bringing the USB device into a KVM machine and running it there, but for now...

Anyway, I install with the idea of a clean total reinstall, so virtually all of the custom stuff is in another partition I can preserve. I'm sorry to say you are not going to do a clean upgrade because:
- stuff in /etc/sysconfig has changed name, format, and interpretation
- a new cron is in place
- /etc/inittab has been replace with a complex scheme
- default simple functional networking has been replaced with NetMangler
- simple functional sound has been replace with PulseAudio and you can use up
  to five volume control and mixers to make sound not work right

You really want to do a full install, honest. At least now you know why that's the case.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>