Re: TRY AGAIN, error running Maple 7 on Fedora 10

stan wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:04:40 -0400
"William M. Quarles" <walrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

#####################################
#!/bin/sh

# Copyright (c) 1993-2001 by Waterloo Maple Inc.
# All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication prohibited.
# Permission is granted to modify this file to be appropriate
# for use at the installation for which Maple was purchased.

# This script runs Maple 7 with a Motif interface.

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

case $0 in
         */*)    exec `dirname $0`/maple -x $*
	;;
         *)      exec maple -x $*
	;;
esac
######################################

Could you change the script to something like this?  Is it necessary to
run dirname under the old kernel version?  Seems the output should be
the same over versions of the library.

DIR_NAME = `dirname $0`
 export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
case $0 in
          */*)    exec $DIR_NAME/maple -x $*
 	;;
          *)      exec maple -x $*
 	;;
 esac

In fact, I'm not sure why you have the case statement, since dirname
returns a . if there is no directory path.

Should just be able to do

DIR_NAME=`dirname $0`
 export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
exec $DIR_NAME/maple -x $* Is this way off the wall? Seems like it should work.

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually, that is a good idea, instead I took it a step further by moving the "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" to where the actual binary is called to be executed in the script named "maple." So the bottom of the "maple" script looks like this:

#############

if [ "$XMAPLE" ]
then
    export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
    exec ${MAPLE}/$MAPLE_SYS_BIN/maplew $IPARAM $DISPLAYARG $PARAM
else
    if [ "$IPARAM" ]
    then
	echo "$0: invalid parameters: $IPARAM"
    else
	export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
	exec ${MAPLE}/$MAPLE_SYS_BIN/cmaple $INCLUDES $PARAM
    fi
fi

Doing that, I get this error message:

/usr/local/maple_su/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/maplew: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

OK, does anyone else think it's bizarre that just because the FC10 glibc lacks LinuxThreads, that I'm getting a missing library file error when that library is actually installed on my system? Anyway, I guess that's why everyone on here is still saying to avoid closed-source software... anyone know of any open-source computer algebra software?

Peace,
William