Re: copying lvm with the same name

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:24:12 -0700 (PDT)
Dean S. Messing wrote:

> Regarding the actual problem the OP seems to have, it seems to me (not
> being an LVM expert) from his output that he has a Volume Group (00)
> that spans sda2 and sdb2, two LVs that are defined in the VG, both of
> which sit on sdb2, but no LV defined on sda2.  Is this unusual?

I actually have two Volume Group 00's, one on each of sda2 and sdb2.  sda2 is
"live" in that it's the one that I'm using right this minute.  sdb2 is somehow
both present and not present, depending on how you look at it, but it doesn't
appear to be accessible in its current form.  I'm considering using fdisk to
remove the partitions on it and re-create something "from new" but I'm not
entirely sure how wise that would be, or exactly what I should create on there.

Another approach would be to just forget it and leave everything as-is until
such time as I reformat and reinstall Fedora on this box (if that ever happens)
at which time I think the installer would automatically do its thing and create
a volume that occupies both hard drives.  After all, everything is working
and this extra drive is neither helping or hurting my activities.  But it seems
to me that a logical volume, by its nature, should be easily expandable without
taking drastic measures.