Re: copying lvm with the same name

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:45:28 -0700
Aldo Foot wrote:

> Get info on the Volume Group (change 00 to 01 for the other volume)

That's the part that everyone jumps right over.  How do you change the volume
name on the second volume when both volumes have the same name?  I have not
found a way to specify "rename the volume on sdb2" or anything similar to that.

This issue is now moot for the moment.  I decided that the path of least-likely
screw-up would be to simply disconnect the "main" hard drive in this computer
and attempt to boot off of the drive that I took out of the other one.  This
actually worked and, after running fsck for a couple of hours, everything
seemed to work well enough to copy the data over to the new computer that I got
to replace the one that the hard drive came out of.

Now that the job has been completed, I re-connected the "main" hard drive in
this machine again and I'm now back to the same setup that I had when I wrote
the original inquiry:

[root@mutt ~]# pvscan
PV /dev/sdb2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [279.25 GB / 32.00 MB free]
PV /dev/sda2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [465.56 GB / 32.00 MB free]
Total: 2 [744.81 GB] / in use: 2 [744.81 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

At this point, since the second hard drive seems to be in good condition, I
think I would like to re-format it and either add it to the existing volume on
sda2 to make one big logical drive, or just reformat it and make a second lvm
on it again and add it my directory tree.  Which approach would be better?  And
how do I extend a lvm to cover both drives if that's what I end up doing?