Re: copying lvm with the same name

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One of my computers died and, of course, there is un-backed-up data on there
> that I want to recover if I can.  The hard drive seems to be in good shape so I
> took it out of the dead box and installed it on this computer (my main desktop
> machine.)
>
> I have been doing a bunch of reading about logical volumes and some of what
> I've found is  self-contradictory, incomplete and stuff that I just don't
> really understand (yet.)  And, as you can imagine, since this is my main
> desktop machine I'm not terribly anxious to just start playing around with
> the lvm configuration without knowing what I'm doing.
>
> Here are my findings so far:
>
> [root@mutt ~]# pvscan
>  PV /dev/sdb2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [279.25 GB / 32.00 MB free]
>  PV /dev/sda2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [465.56 GB / 32.00 MB free]
>  Total: 2 [744.81 GB] / in use: 2 [744.81 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
> [root@mutt ~]# lvscan
>  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [277.28 GB] inherit
>  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.94 GB] inherit
>
> It looks like the machine can see the second drive and the lvm that's on it
> /dev/sdb2, but it has the same VolGroup name as /dev/sda2.
>
> What I would like to do is twofold:  First, and most importantly, I would like
> to mount it as-is so I can copy my data off of there.  Second, I would like to
> re-format it and add it to the storage capacity that I already have on this
> machine. Heck, if it's still a good drive I might as well put it to use.
>
> So, how can I mount VolGroup00 that's on /dev/sdb2?  The vgchange command
> followed by a simple mount command looks like what I want to do, but what's the
> syntax?  As I said, I really don't want to bugger up my primary hard drive....
>
> --
__

Get info on the Volume Group (change 00 to 01 for the other volume)
	vgdisplay -v VolGroup00

Look at the Physical Volumes list; the hard drive partitions
are shown individually. That's how you identify with hard
drive or partition belongs to what Volume Group.
Somewhere in the Logical Volume info it will say:
	"LV Status              available"

To fix inconsistencies, check the filesystem
	e2fsck -fvy /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

To format (make sure to pick the correct one)
	mkfs.ext3 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

mount as any other filesystem
	 mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/mountpoint

Bottom line is you can use /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 as you
would any hard drive device name such as /dev/hda1.

HTH,
~af