Re: NM fails to connect when booting ?? -[SOLVED]

Hi;

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 14:26 +0200, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> ke, 2009-03-18 kello 08:22 +0100, Kevin Kofler kirjoitti:
> > William Case wrote:
> > > I agree completely.  The problem seems to be in the NetworkManager
> > > Applet.  First, there is no manual.  Secondly, it seems to lack any
> > > ability to affect the function of NetworkManager -- at least at the
> > > simplest level.  I can't use it to disconnect, if for some reason I
> > > might want to (eg. tweaking, playing around, etc.).  Even when I use the
> > > edit function - "Edit Connections" - all the editable fields are greyed
> > > out.  To me that is where an ordinary user would think to alter the
> > > ifcfg-eth* script.  It seems to be just a front end gui for nm-tools
> > > which in turn is only a reporting program.
> >
> > "Edit Connections" is for primarily editing per-user settings. I think
> > there's also a plugin for systemwide settings which can be edited at the
> > same place, but Fedora is using a plugin to use the existing
> > system-config-network settings instead, so you have to fire up
> > system-config-network to change systemwide settings.
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
> >
> I wonder if "Edit connections" now works even for per-user settings? A
> few days ago I finally installed F10 from original (Nov -08) x86_64 DVD.
> That version seemed to allow me to edit NM connections at least somehow
> but I didn't do it before downloading some 340 M of updates. After that
> "Edit connections" was useless (greyed out) for ordinary user.
> Because I have a wired cable modem (at eth0) and a NATted Centos 5.2 box
> connected to Internet (via eth1) through the F10 box, I could not make
> NM behave the way I wanted.
> Maybe the original ifcfg-eth0 default of 'ONBOOT=no' is not a bug but it
> surely is a poor choice for someone like me with no wireless devices.
> After struggling a while with NM trying to configure it the way I
> wanted, I had to disable NM altogether and configure the trusty old
> network service like it is in my F9 system. To add insult to injury, it
> is now necessary to install gnome-netstatus applet separately because it
> has been removed from basic F10 installation's 'add-to-panel-gadgets'.
>
> To me it looks like "life is too short for NM".

I actually think that NM is a great improvement over
system-config-network.  That is one of the reasons why I have brought
any problems I am having with NM to this mailing list.  I would rather
get NM working for me than return to system-config-network.

For ordinary users or users who would rather spend their time on things
other than tweaking their wireless or wired network -- keep it
simple,stupid (KISS).  The problem is, if you want to make some minor
changes or alterations you have to dive into the arcane nether world of
networking.

I would suggest:
     1. A button that allows you to disconnect (turn it off) temporarily
        -- say to the next boot.
     2. An "Edit Connections" that actually allows you to edit
        connections.
     3. Tie editing to root, if necessary, with the usual sudo or su -
        popup.
     4. Clearly show in the gui how to turn ONBOOT to yes or no.
     5. A Default button that returns any adjustments to the default
        settings.
     6. A manual that is useful.

And, by the way, what does the "never" that is placed at the end "System
eth0" line mean?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3