Re: NM fails to connect when booting ?? -[SOLVED]

ke, 2009-03-18 kello 08:22 +0100, Kevin Kofler kirjoitti:
> William Case wrote:
> > I agree completely.  The problem seems to be in the NetworkManager
> > Applet.  First, there is no manual.  Secondly, it seems to lack any
> > ability to affect the function of NetworkManager -- at least at the
> > simplest level.  I can't use it to disconnect, if for some reason I
> > might want to (eg. tweaking, playing around, etc.).  Even when I use the
> > edit function - "Edit Connections" - all the editable fields are greyed
> > out.  To me that is where an ordinary user would think to alter the
> > ifcfg-eth* script.  It seems to be just a front end gui for nm-tools
> > which in turn is only a reporting program.
>
> "Edit Connections" is for primarily editing per-user settings. I think
> there's also a plugin for systemwide settings which can be edited at the
> same place, but Fedora is using a plugin to use the existing
> system-config-network settings instead, so you have to fire up
> system-config-network to change systemwide settings.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I wonder if "Edit connections" now works even for per-user settings? A
few days ago I finally installed F10 from original (Nov -08) x86_64 DVD.
That version seemed to allow me to edit NM connections at least somehow
but I didn't do it before downloading some 340 M of updates. After that
"Edit connections" was useless (greyed out) for ordinary user.
Because I have a wired cable modem (at eth0) and a NATted Centos 5.2 box
connected to Internet (via eth1) through the F10 box, I could not make
NM behave the way I wanted.
Maybe the original ifcfg-eth0 default of 'ONBOOT=no' is not a bug but it
surely is a poor choice for someone like me with no wireless devices.
After struggling a while with NM trying to configure it the way I
wanted, I had to disable NM altogether and configure the trusty old
network service like it is in my F9 system. To add insult to injury, it
is now necessary to install gnome-netstatus applet separately because it
has been removed from basic F10 installation's 'add-to-panel-gadgets'.

To me it looks like "life is too short for NM".

Antti