Re: Label Program reccomendations ??

Tim:
>> i.e. On my much older computer and printer, if I said a box started
>> 12 cm down, and 5 cm across, was 3 cm high and 5 cm wide, then it
>> printed exactly as I specified.
>>
>> On the newer gear, where it threw away standards, and turned them
>> into arbitrary unspecified figures, I had to waste paper doing test
>> prints and making tiny unpredictable adjustments, to get things to
>> print right.
>>
>> I really hate pinheads who stuff things up until it *seems* to work
>> for them, without understanding what they're doing.  It stuffs things
>> up for everyone *else* in an unmanageable way.

Todd Denniston:
> Are you speaking of gimp/gutenprint?

Well, actually the situation predated me using Linux, but still exists.
One example would be trying to print something using OpenOffice.org.
The page dimensions don't match.

I ran out of business cards one day, so I bought one of those perforated
sheets from the local shops to make some up in a hurry.  It was one hell
of a time trying to get printing to print in the right spots.  I had to
leave very large margins to allow for sloppiness.

After an hour or so of grief, I bought plain blank card and a
guillotine.  Manually cutting cards up was far neater than dealing with
cards with printing rarely ever in the centre of the card.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.