Re: Perl modules <---> Fedora RPMs (Test::More)

2009/3/4 Geoffrey Leach <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 03/04/2009 11:12:33 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
>> 2009/3/4 Reber, Simon <simon.reber@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> > I suggest to download the tar.gz package from http://www.cpan.de
>> and
>> install it using:
>> >        perl Makefile.PL
>> >        make
>> >        make install
>>
>> Firstly, if you're going to point someone at CPAN then please use the
>> canonical URL (http://www.cpan.org/) rather than a national mirror.
>>
>> Secondly, mixing RPM-installed modules and CPAN-installed modules in
>> the same Perl installation is a recipe for disaster. I strongly
>> recommend avoiding it whenever possible.
>
> Actually, that's not the case. Here's what I do. YMMV.
>
> Install _minimal_ Perl as rpms. That's just perl and whatever comes
> with it on yum install. Then get the CPAN rpm, and whatever comes with
> it.
>
> After this, use cpan to install whatever you need. The cli interface is
> simple and easy to use. The value of this is that if you install
> (rather than upgrade) new Fedora distos, your cpan-installed modules
> are not affected, always assuming that /usr/local is a separate file
> system.

Yeah, I worked like that for years. But my Perl installations always
gradually deteriorated. Once I switched to RPM-only installations (and
learnt how to make RPMs of CPAN modules that weren't in the
repositories) my life became much happier.

See http://www.slideshare.net/davorg/perl-in-rpmland-presentation for
more details. And http://rpm.mag-sol.com/ for my repository of RPMs of
CPAN modules.

Cheers,