Re: Setting up a home wireless server.

James Allsopp wrote:
> hi,
> I'm setting up a wireless access point and I've got the laptop to
> connect to the server, and dhcp working, but I can't get the firewall to
> forward packets to the outside wall. I've seen some people setting up a
> bridging device, but before I've done it using iptables. Is one of these
> methods better, deprecated or just different?
>
> I'm using the iptables script described here;
> http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#INCLUDERCFIREWALL
>
> the forward part is here
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $LAN_IFACE -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INET_IFACE -j SNAT --to-source $INET_IP
>
> But there doesn't seem to be anything to redirect the return packets or
> to tell it which interface the outbound packets should be on.
>
> It says in the tutorial masquerade should be avoided due to the extra
> CPU, any comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Honestly, I've never used IPtables for that, I've always made my server
just act like a router and input static routes between wireless and
wired networks.  But then maybe my case is special, I route all my
wireless packets through my server (and squid) so that I can filter what
my kids get to on the internet.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support