Re: Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10

>>>>>> [CUT]
All I need to do is disable mouse taps in my mouse pad.

I've edited /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi over and over, but apparently, I don't know the syntax or how it really all works. And all I got was fragmented pieces of information from my research. I would like to adhere to the new approach to configuring hardware. I'm assuming that creating an xorg.conf file just confuses things and doesn't address the new way of doing things.

Ok, so does anyone know how to correctly edit an FDI file to disable mouse taps (and which file)? Or is there a better way?

follow the instructions here

You don't need to do any of that.   All you need to do is:

a) yum install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics
b) synclient TouchpadOff=1

I'm not the OP, but I tried that on my F10 system (eeepc 901, in case
it makes any difference) and all uses of synclient (except for a bare
"synclient" results in:

    Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

I don't find anything named SHMConfig, and neither rpm -a, nor "yum list availbale" turns it up.

Am I missing something?

cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi \
 /etc/hal/fdi/11-synaptics.fdi

edit this file (11-synaptics.fdi) as indicated in the thread appropriate
section for your touchpad (you can discover which touchpad section by
'cat /proc/bus/input/devices') and reboot

NO, NO, NO !  Sheesh !

SHMConfig is a setting in the xorg.conf file.

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make the synaptics parts of it look like
this:

<snip>

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad" "CorePointer" EndSection

<snip>

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
        Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
EndSection

You'll need to restart X (reboot ?) for these changes to take place.
You might want to back up your present xorg.conf before making these
changes.
LG

Yeah, appearently doing...
synclient -l | less
will show all the options you can put in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I have...
Option    "TouchpaddOff" "2"
This makes it the default setting, but I can still do...
synclient TouchpadOff=0
to turn it on again.

Rocco