Re: Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 09:17 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 11:09 -0500, fred smith wrote:

> > > You don't need to do any of that.   All you need to do is:
> > >
> > > a) yum install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics
> > > b) synclient TouchpadOff=1
> >
> > I'm not the OP, but I tried that on my F10 system (eeepc 901, in case
> > it makes any difference) and all uses of synclient (except for a bare
> > "synclient" results in:
> >
> > 	Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
> >
> > I don't find anything named SHMConfig, and neither rpm -a, nor
> > "yum list availbale" turns it up.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> ----
> cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi \
>  /etc/hal/fdi/11-synaptics.fdi
>
> edit this file (11-synaptics.fdi) as indicated in the thread appropriate
> section for your touchpad (you can discover which touchpad section by
> 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices') and reboot

NO, NO, NO !  Sheesh !

SHMConfig is a setting in the xorg.conf file.

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make the synaptics parts of it look like
this:

<snip>

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad" "CorePointer"
EndSection

<snip>

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
        Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
EndSection

You'll need to restart X (reboot ?) for these changes to take place.
You might want to back up your present xorg.conf before making these
changes.

LG