Re: Please help! Lost my LVM VG...

Hello Bryn,

> You need to understand why it wasn't being activated automatically.
> Boot logs (dmesg and/or /var/log/messages) would help here. Normally,
> devices are scanned for LVM metadata when rc.sysinit runs.

> There were some bugs in older releases (f8 is no longer
> supported/maintained) where udev would not wait long enough for some
> devices to appear, causing these scans to "miss" the VG. That sounds
> plausible here since the vgchange -ay worked after the system had
> booted but there's not really enough information to say for sure.

> Try adding a "sleep 5" or "udevsettle --timeout=30" command to
> rc.sysinit above each of the LVM activation commands.

/var/log/messages doesn't contain any information about that problem.
The error happened too early during boot - so that the data didn't get
into the log files (disks were mounted in read-only mode).

Anyway, the problem does not appear anymore. I just restarted the
system several times (including complete power-down / power-up cycle),
to be sure.

I don't know what the reason was, but it seem to be fixed now!

Thank you very-very-very much for your help!!!

--
Best regards,
Andrew