Re: USB Descriptor error message on booting

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 13:50 -0500, RDB wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2009 13:01:13 Craig White wrote:
> >
> > Do you have up to date BIOS? I have found that I have to update BIOS on
> > various computers to get the motherboard USB to work properly.
>
> Hm.. that's a good point. I don't think I update the BIOS since I got it. Not
> sure if I want to unless I have to, since there's always a risk that I end up
> destroying the motherboard :)
>
> So I am still left wondering what the error messages is about, if those USB
> devices seems to work, particularly rather irritating is the long boot time.
----
I would unplug all but essential USB devices (mouse? keyboard?) and
reboot to see if the long boot time is related to USB (my guess is not).

I would also recommend updating BIOS because it generally does fix
motherboard USB junk. I note that I purchased a new Acer Aspire One just
2 weeks ago and found that my 'edge' USB hard disk didn't work that well
in Linux, didn't work at all in Windows (dual-boot) and BIOS update made
things work right for both.

It's a crap shoot to be sure.

Craig