Re: USB Descriptor error message on booting

On Saturday 31 January 2009 13:01:13 Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 12:16 -0500, RDB wrote:
> > >
> > > is yr. Fedora fully updated??
> >
> > Yes. Fully updated as of this morning. Using
> > kernel-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.x86_64
>
> ----
> what do you have plugged into USB?

> Is this a motherboard USB or expansion card?

I usually have Creative Webcam, Multimedia card reader (for SD card, mmc,
etc), and a Cannon LIDE scanner . They all used to work under FC 7, although
when booting FC 7 it also gave similar messages, but less and booted faster.

I tried the card reader, and pluging in USB flash drive and they seem to work.
Haven't tried the Webcam because it used to need GSPCA driver (and I haven't
looked into how this would work under Fedora 10). Haven't tried the scanner
either since someone is borrowing it, but usually  it works out of the box
with XSane.
In short, various USB devices seem to work despite the messages and the long
boot (although sometime I have to unplug and plug the card reader back in,
because for some reason it's not recognized).

They are all plugged in into motherboard USB.

> Do you have up to date BIOS? I have found that I have to update BIOS on
> various computers to get the motherboard USB to work properly.

Hm.. that's a good point. I don't think I update the BIOS since I got it. Not
sure if I want to unless I have to, since there's always a risk that I end up
destroying the motherboard :)

So I am still left wondering what the error messages is about, if those USB
devices seems to work, particularly rather irritating is the long boot time.

Thanks.
RDB