Re: Windowmaker and NetworkManager

2009/1/28 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2009/1/28 Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi Suvayu,
>>
>>  On Wed 28/01/09  3:51 PM , suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx sent:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How do I manage my networks when I am using windowmaker as my desktop
>>> manager? I can connect to my wifi network using NM on Gnome, but in
>>> wmaker, I don't have any Internet connection. I tried running
>>> NetworkManager from terminal, but that didn't help. Any ideas?
>>
>> I use 'docker'[1]. This tool has been the sole reason i switched back to using WindowMaker after having to compromise on using Gnome with all it's bells and  whistles, for a long time.
>>
>> After starting docker (and docking the app), you can start off any of the gnome-panel applets and they will appear in docker.
>>
>> I prefer starting off:
>> pidgin -n
>> gnome-power-manager
>> network-manager
>> If you are a regular user of WindowMaker, you might already know about the file ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart, where you can start up network-manager on login.
>>
>> (note, i am not on my laptop right now, so can't confirm the exact commandline, if you have trouble, please let me know and I'll send you my configs when I can)
>
> Thanks for such a prompt reply!
>
> I am trying out WindowMaker as Gnome started to feel more cumbersome
> to use with all its "features". I will try that out and report back
> how it goes for me.

I installed docker and put 'docker &' in the autostart script. After I
re-login with WindowMaker as the desktop manager, I see the dock. Now
when I start pidgin, it shows an icon in the dock as expected. However
when I start NM, it says that I need to be root to run NM (I tried
this in terminal to see the message it spews). Sudo doesn't work
either. So I su to root, and run NM, but that doesn't do it either. Am
I missing something?

--
Suvayu