Re: Windowmaker and NetworkManager

Hi Suvayu,
> I installed docker and put 'docker &' in the autostart script. After I
> re-login with WindowMaker as the desktop manager, I see the dock. Now
> when I start pidgin, it shows an icon in the dock as expected. However
> when I start NM, it says that I need to be root to run NM (I tried
> this in terminal to see the message it spews). Sudo doesn't work
> either. So I su to root, and run NM, but that doesn't do it either. Am
> I missing something?

I am sorry, I assumed that you were a long time Windowmaker user. Well, here are some clearer instructions:

1. Login in to WindowMaker and from a terminal window, execute "docker &"
2. Now, drag the docker 'icon', close to the bottom of the WindowMaker dock (that's the thing, the group of icons, that you'll probably see on the top right). When you bring it close enough, the icon will attached itself to the dock (that is what i meant by 'docking the app' in my previous post).
3. Now right click the docked icon and select 'Settings' from the menu.
4. In the settings dialog select 'Start when Window Maker is started' and, if you want to, the 'Lock' option. Docker will now start automatically when you login into WindowMaker.
5. Make sure you have NetworkManager service enabled and running:

$ chkconfig NetworkManager on
$ service NetworkManager restart

6. Launch the nm-applet:
$ nm-applet &

If this works, include "nm-applet &" in the "GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart" file

Hopefully, that should do it. If not, let us know. If you have any questions (including those about WindowMaker) feel free to ask.

regards,
- steve

--
Linux Centric Marketplace: http://www.tuxcompatible.com