Re: How to adapt F9 initrd to new motherboard/chipset, was: F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

M. Fioretti wrote:

> Now I only have what I guess is the same problem with the onboard
> Ethernet, so I haven't finished yet. I will now try to repeat the
> procedure above but enabling the network in the rescue environment. If I
> do that, then mkinitrd should add the module for the Ethernet port as it
> added that for the disk controller, shouldn't it? If not, any suggestions?
> In any case, things are a loooot better than they looked yesterday
> morning.

You can skip rebuilding the initrd again. The network drivers are
not in there. It is mainly there to get the system to the point that
it can read the root file system. Things like network modules are
loaded from the /lib/modules/<kernel varsion> tree.

What probably happened is that the NIC on the new motherboard is now
eth1. Udev maintains consistent network device names. But in the
case where you change NICs (or in this case motherboards) it can
backfire on you. What you need to do is delete
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. You should delete any
alias for eth0 in /etc/modprobe.conf as well. (Back up modprobe.conf
first.) Then reboot and your network should work again.

You may have to reconfigure a few other things as well. (Sound?)

Mikkel