Re: How to adapt F9 initrd to new motherboard/chipset, was: F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

On Sun, January 18, 2009 4:05 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> M. Fioretti wrote:
>>
>> what I should do fix initrd to make it see the
>> root partition through the new chipset?
> Boot the install CD/DVD.
> Pick "Rescue an installed system" from the menu.
> Answer the usual questions about language and stuff.
> Don't bother to bring up the network.
> Let it mount your partitions.
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> cd /boot
> Run ls to get the kernel version. (Use the latest installed.) This
> will also give you the name of the initrd.
> mkinitrd -f <initrd name> <kernel version>
>
> If you do not get any errors, then type "exit" twice and the system
> will reboot.

worked perfectly, thanks Mikkel!

The system is up and running again and user data are
all there (they WERE all backed up on another drive,
but it's a lot of time saved)

Now I only have what I guess is the same problem with the onboard
Ethernet, so I haven't finished yet. I will now try to repeat the
procedure above but enabling the network in the rescue environment. If I
do that, then mkinitrd should add the module for tthe ethernet port as it
added that for the disk controller, shouldn't it? If not, any suggestions?
In any case, things are a loooot better than they looked yesterday
morning.

Thanks again,
Marco