Re: Dealing with 800x480 displays

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 02:54:38PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 11 January 2009 14:37:31 Jim wrote:
> > Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > > Either FC9 or FC10:
> > >
> > > How do you work with displays that are only 800x480 (like the ASUS
> > > eee)?  There are gnome dialogs that seem to require 800x600, so I
> > > can't 'see' the bottom of these dialogs where trival buttons like 'OK'
> > > are....
> >
> > You'll have to learn to live with the resolution, but to see the bottom
> > of a window, 'hold down' on the 'ALT' key and move your mouse to the
> > window and then 'hold down' on 'left mouse button' and you'll be able to
> > move the window around to see
> > the  "OK" button at bottom of window.
> >
> > I have the EEEpc 701 myself so I'm learning just like you.
>
> Also, if you are running a distrubution with KDE4, there is  'laptop' theme
> that minimises decorations and gives you the greates possible display space.
> Oddly enough, I find that I can reduce the fonts and still read with much
> greater comfort than I would have expected at that size.
>
> All these help, but you do still need the Alt+grab and move a window,
> sometimes.
>
> Anne

And if you're using "desktop effects" (which work great on my eeepc 901
at 1024x600, BTW) compiz won't, by default, let you drag the top of a window
off the top of the screen. You can "fix" that by doing this:

gconftool-2 -s /apps/compiz/plugins/move/allscreens/options/constrain_y -t bool 0

AS THE USER WHO WILL BE USING THE SYSTEM, not as root.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------