Re: Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> No kidding.  Let me give just one more example. I installed F10 on
>>> another laptop (mine).  It's a Compaq Dual core AMD X2 with 8GB RAM.  A
>>> fresh install.  I booted into it after the install (and setting up my
>>> network info (wired).  Logged in as myself.
>>

>> If you believe that this is something common, you really have no
>> respect for the Fedora developers. I've installed Fedora 9/10 on
>> several different machines now, and I have never needed to do more
>> than plug in an ethernet cable to get wired working.
>>
>> So please have more respect for the Fedora developers and
>> NetworkManager developers on this public forum. These guys have
>> provided me with too much good software for me to standby have people
>> needlessly disrespect their work.
>>

> I think the issue comes when you are not using DHCP as many do.  If over the
> years, you have used setup scripts the NM default approach is a problem.
>
> On this fresh install I had to setup my network info in NM at first. Then I
> moved to network services and turned off NM.  A two step approach to get
> back to the Old way.
>
> As for network info, I found I had to edit the /etc/sysconfig/networking
> manually because system-config-network kept corrupting the settings.  I need
> to do some testing and file a bug report.

On my desktop, I have DHCP available, but i use a static IP.

All I did was use sytem-config-network, and check 'start on boot' and
uncheck 'controlled by NM'. Does this not work for you guys?

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )