Re: Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No kidding.  Let me give just one more example. I installed F10 on
> another laptop (mine).  It's a Compaq Dual core AMD X2 with 8GB RAM.  A
> fresh install.  I booted into it after the install (and setting up my
> network info (wired).  Logged in as myself.

Lets be very clear. Where did you put in your static network info?
Somehow I doubt you put it into NM's per-user connection information
store.  If you don't understand how NM works and you are putting the
information into the legacy systems configuration locations or
tools..then should you expect NM to see your settings?

The problem here is that we have a large contingent of users who found
the script based approach as acceptable for years and NM represents a
substantial change. That script based approach is still there, but its
not the default. Because its not the default additional steps must be
taken to get the expected behavior they are looking for.  That
confuses people because it creates a new interaction point between a
system they understood well enough to use and a system they don't
understand yet.

NM can do simple static after user login, it has its own edit
connections concept where static information can be record as part of
a connection definition. It doesn't handle complicated options like
interface bonding..yet. But it does handle a common set of static ipv4
addressing needs in F10.  But to see that static support you have to
see NM concepts of configuration editing, not the older sysconfig
scripts.

And yes NM doesn't let you establish pre-login connections...yet. But
its on the roadmap.
http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerToDo. Once connection settings can
be published for system-wide use when a user is not logged in, that
will hopefully satisfy a large chunk of the needs of the sysconfig
script users on desktops and laptops.  After that its a matter of
working on multiple device interactions to incorporate server needs.

Until then you are free to disable NM and use the legacy network
service, which uses the legacy sysconfig scripts, which can be editted
using the legacy system-config-network ui.

-jef